4/14/11

72 hour kits

For the past few months, I have been thinking a lot about preparedness. Our church suggests having a 72 hour kit prepared for emergencies or disasters. I did some for us several years ago, but we took all the food out and never replaced it, and all the clothes were way too small for all my kids...not to mention I had another child.

So this week....on top of doing our bathrooms, I took the project on.

This is one of the packs for my kids. When I had my last baby, all of my kids got these cute little sling backpacks from the hospital...I saved them and they worked perfect for this project!


Here is the food menu I followed
This is for one person

Day 1
Breakfast: Oatmeal, Granola Bar, Hot chocolate
Lunch: Jerky, Apple Cider, Fruit Roll-up
Supper: canned soup, crackers
snacks: candy (I did sweedish fish)

Day 2
Breakfast: Oatmeal, half a cup of trail mix, hot chocolate
Lunch: Jerky, granola bar, cider
supper: soup, crackers
snacks: candy, fruit roll up

Day 3
Breakfast: oatmeal, trail mix
lunch: cup of noodles, crackers
supper: 2 granola bars, fruit roll up
snacks: half a cup of trail mix, candy

keep in mind that this is not going to be super filling meals, it is only to sustain you until you can get to better facilities.

In each pack:
1 blanket
a pair of sweats
2 liters of water
food
underwear and socks

And then we had a bucket with the things that the whole family would need.

Battery Lighting (Flashlights, Lamps, etc.) Don't forget batteries!
Extra Batteries
Flares
Candles
Lighter
Water-Proof Matches
cash
Radio (with batteries!)
Pen and Paper
Pocket Knife
Rope
Personal Supplies and Medication
trash bags
first aid kit
dishes
tissues
toilet paper
hand sanitizer
shampoo
toothbrushes and toothpaste

You can Google this and there is tons of information out there!

This is all of our kits
I hope this helps and encourages you to be prepared! You never know when something disastrous will happen...hopefully never!

2 comments :

  1. You are one ambitious girl! Great info-I need to get our 72 hour kits done. I had to laugh when I read your bathroom canvas art post because I too just redid my bathroom a couple weeks ago and even bought a canvas to do some vinyl canvas art but haven't done it yet. I don't know what I'm waiting for. Yours turned out so cute, so I definitely need to get mine done.

    And don't worry...I think of you every day as I am doing the Paula Abdul dance video we used to do in gym. Whip step, George Jetson, football drill, brain teaser, yup, I've still got it! The only difference is that Coach Smith isn't telling us to pick it up!

    Well, keep the creative juices flowing! You're awesome! Love ya Vay Vay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the idea! I've been meaning to do this, I NEED to do this! :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...